New approach to future promotion of Wanganui - 27/11/2009Deputy Mayor Dot McKinnon says the promotion of Wanganui will be significantly enhanced by a new Visitor Committee.
This week the council voted to disestablish the Image and Promotion Working Party and set up a Visitor Committee to be headed by Mayor Michael Laws.
“The Image and Promotion Working Party achieved its aim of developing a Visitor Strategy for Wanganui and giving advice to the council’s economic development unit,” Cr McKinnon said.
“We now need to ensure that the council and visitor industry implement the strategy. The best way to do that is to establish an industry forum and develop our Marketing Strategy. The new year will herald a whole new promotional campaign for Wanganui.”
At its meeting on November 23, the council resolved:
That the Image and Promotion Working Party be disestablished and a new committee, to be known as the Visitor Committee, be established
That membership of the Committee comprise the Mayor and three Councillors plus two promotion and marketing industry experts to be determined
That the role of the Committee be to:
- Monitor implementation of the Visitor Strategy.
- Assist with the development of the district marketing plan.
- Monitor i-Site development and performance.
- Provide policy development guidance on visitor matters to the Economic Development Team.
- Provide feedback to the Council on matters relating to the Visitor Strategy.
- Facilitate the establishment of a Visitor Industry Forum.
- Monitor the Regional Tourism Organisation’s functions.
That the Economic Development Team perform the role of the Regional Tourism Organisation (RTO) under the name of Discover Wanganui
That the Draft Marketing Plan tabled be referred to the Visitor Committee.